9.26.2008

master of a tiny universe

At this moment in Sylvia's world, Mommy and Daddy are not only the center of her universe, but in her eyes we control the universe, including everything she sees and hears. She is in the habit lately of asking "Again?" everytime she sees or hears something she likes. In the last week or so that has included watching an airplane go by (Again?), hearing a fun song on the radio (Again?), and hearing the people clap on Jeopardy (Again?). Alas, we don't have DVR, so I couldn't even make her last wish come true, although I promised, there would be people clapping on Wheel of Fortune too.

She is doing really well with the potty, and has asked to use it with success several times this week. She also pretended to need the potty once when she didn't like her dinner the other night. Outsmarted by a 1 year old. She has started clapping and cheering for me when I use the bathroom. I suppose it is only the polite thing to do, after all, we have a little party each time she goes potty :)

It is amazing how much our lives have changed in the short year and a half since she was born. The other week during dinner, John looked at me very seriously, and asked if I knew that Pinky the beanie baby had the same birthday as me, per the tag attached to the little flamingo. (He had just been playing with basket of animals with Sylvia.) I think it is sooo funny that our "normal" dinner conversation has evolved (disintegrated?) to discussing the pretend birthdays of stuffed animals.

I am looking forward to getting some photos and/or videos of Sylvia's swim lesson on Saturday. She had her first lesson with Daddy last weekend, but I didn't go, because I was worried she might be nervous and cling to me, which would defeat the purpose of Daddy / Daughter swim class. However, Sylvia bravely jumped in the pool with her daddy and did whatever the teacher asked (lay on her back, kick, do the hokey pokey, etc..) She's growing up so fast.