11.04.2008

rotten tomatoes

I was looking outside today and realized that it is time to clean up our mess of what were the tomato plants. The photo below was from early summer when Sylvia and I went out to pick tomatoes for the first time. Every time I turned my back she grabbed a few more tomatoes - can you tell which ones she picked?
By mid summer, I could send her off on her own and she knew exactly which ones to pick.
By the end of the summer we had to keep a close eye on her again. She knew to pick the reds ones, but just as fast as she used to grab the green ones, she now tried to shove the red tomatoes in her mouth before we could stop her - or at least get a good sized bite.
I'm sad to see the tomatoes go, but the leaves and pumpkins have been just as much fun. We're looking forward to starting over with new tomato plants next spring, and maybe we'll be more adventurous and add some other veggies and flowers. It's fun to have a little gardening partner!