4.10.2008

daycare genius

Sylvia's daycare teachers informed me this morning that Sylvia can now say Ms. Brenda (which sounds like "Enda" and Ms. Donna (I'm not sure what this one sounds like). She also knows all of the other babies in the room and can point to them as the teachers say the names of the other children. She's at the head of her class at age one! Most of the other kids in her class are teeny tiny babies, but it still counts!

I've realized that she is getting very good at mimicking tone and inflection in the voice of others, so that when she repeats you, even if the actual letters are way off, it still sounds like she is saying the same thing that you are. It is very cute. I will have to try to catch some of it on video. If she is in the right mood, she will attempt to repeat each letter of the alphabet and knows the sounds of several animals. By far, her favorite words right now remain "Dada" and "Elmo", (she has stopped saying "Melmo" in the last few weeks.)

I heard her say banana "Nana" for the first time this afternoon. She saw one on the counter, and screamed "Nana" over and over as she reached for it. I believe that is her favorite food of the moment, and it does change by the moment. At daycare today, she wanted only a bite or two of her lunch and snack food, which consisted of foods she normally loves: cottage cheese, a cheese stick, ravioli, and apple sauce. However, she managed to trade her cheese stick with the baby next to her and acquired some meat loaf, green beans, and macaroni. She certainly is a resourceful little girl!

Finally, I think I have figured out the trick to getting her shoes on. If I can get them most of the way on, then have her stand up, I can now tie them and she is set to lead me around the sidewalk outside. It is very tricky to get shoes on her little foot when Sylvia keeps her toes all curled up. I think she is getting the idea of shoes, and knows that is the only way I will let her stay outside, which she loves. She is also realizing that if she can sneak off then edge of the sidewalk there is much mud and hay, which are way more fun than sidewalk. I can keep her out of it now, but she will be walking on her own very soon, and things will get much more challenging. A few nights this week, Sylvia took steps on her own going between John and me. She was wobbly, but she was thrilled! It was big news, because she has insisted on holding onto furniture or someone else's hands with BOTH of her hands up until this week. It won't be long!!