3.28.2011

I am a photographer

I am a photographer because.....I have a camera.  Actually, I have one nice camera and one really great camera that we owe Chrissy money for.....but that's another story.  I am on a mission to be a photographer because I know what the heck I am doing with the camera, other than just leaving it on an auto setting and hoping for the best.

I recently read this tutorial, and LOVED it.  Really, really loved it and learned a lot.  I would highly recommend for anyone who wants to take better pictures.  Even if you know a lot, I would guess you'll learn something new - everything is explained REALLY well.


I also really like some of the posts here:

 All of these photos were taken after I read that and was determined not to use an automatic setting.  I went with Aperture priority.

Picture below is "no nap Stella".  A close relative to "pre-coffee Mommy."  :)


I think the 3 most important things I learned were that (1) real photographers apparently NEVER use the built-in flash on the camera.  Who knew?  [No flash on these pics, and my lighting was not great, or even good, really]

(2) Using the user-controlled settings really can get you better pictures if you know what you're doing.  These pics prove it to me.  The auto versions were far less impressive in my opinion.

and finally, (3) there's lots of stuff to be learned when you actually read the manual and test the functions out as you read.  I learned how to move the focus spot around, so it isn't always in the center.  I had a lot of fun with that in these pics. 

Let me know if you have other recommended sites and let me know what pics are your favorites....the ones from this experiment are all here:  https://picasaweb.google.com/TexFamily/PracticingPortraits#
For now, I will just keep practicing.  I have willing models...most of the time.

Sweet Shot Day


Lots of love, 
Keri